Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Nalgenes negatively impact health!

Nalgene use is hazardous, what?! A friend told me about this today and I was shocked. I knew that continued use of ordinary 'disposable' water bottles such as Ice Mountain or the generic brand was not good to reuse, but Nalgenes? They're hip, cool, and everybody's got one. (Okay a lot of people have them). Apparently there is a chemical that is released in the plastic that can have an impact on the brain as well as reproductive hormones. This is also the case for baby bottles. Matt told me read about it and they purchased new baby bottles, but I didn't think it would apply to my beloved Nalgene seven years. The chemical released is BPA, which is espeically prevelant if bottles have #7 on the bottom. Check out the article link as well, which gives more details about certain numbers on bottles. I would also caution against the solution of always buying new Aquafina bottles because the amount of plastic used to make disposable water bottles for the USA would fuel hundreds of thousands of cars for a year. (I know an odd comparison, but it's equally environmentally detrimental.) Oh, and of course if you go to Nalgene's website they will say that #7 plastics are okay and BPA free. Hope you don't carry stock with plastic #7!
Stay informed!

No comments: