Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Adjusting

La Merced Catholic Church, Antigua


I've been back just over a week and finally got rid of whatever intestinal friends I was hosting in my GI tract. Yesterday was my first day back subbing and it was okay; I'm glad there's only two more months of school. The nice thing about my assignment yesterday was that I was able to speak Spanish with the students. They said, "You speak spanish now?" When I said, "un poco." they startled rattling everything off to which I replied, "Si, hablo espanol ahora, pero solamente un poco. Si quieres para mi entender, necessitas hablar lentemente." Fue divertido. (Translation: Yes, I speak spanish now, but only a little. If you want me to understand you need to speak slowly. it was fun.) Also, today I spoke with a native spanish speaking woman at the club and told her I just came back and would like to practice my spanish some. She seemed up for it. That interaction, however, made me miss Alba, my teacher, even more. I'm still brainstorming on how I can help her out a little bit with her economic situation while she's finishing up her degree. There is not system in Guatemala for student loans let alone grants. If you can pay, you can go...can't pay? can't go. This afternoon I was missing the Guatemalan food so I prepared a typical lunch/dinner. I had black beans, corn tortillas, scrambled eggs with tomatoes, and fruit for dessert. It was delicioso.

No comments: