Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Tired Teacher

Hi all,
Both SarahA and ElizabethR had great titles to their last blog. I don't believe I can out-do them, but I thought I should make some alliterative cutesy title. Also, this is the truth.
First, about the tired teacher. I had a sad conversation with some of my 11th grade students who were my first group of 8th graders. They were asking me how I had changed things since they were in my class and how it was going. I told them the truth as I was gearing up to correct some papers from my 8th graders. I showed them the NUMEROUS papers that lacked ANY punctuation, the ones who NEVER use a capital latter at the beginning of the sentence, the ones that NO ONE (including the kid who wrote it) can read. As I was ranting, the 11th graders were shocked by the completely half-ass work I was trying to correct. But, then they said this..."You were so much more peppy when you first started. You seem kind of crabby this year." OUCH...but true.
I have become so tired of lazy kids who don't listen to what I teach them, not even the simple stuff that they should have learned in first grade. It makes me sad because who has allowed this lack of care and concern for education. Of course there are still the kids who care, but in this particular class of 8th graders, the number is VERY small! Has this half-ass attitude been allowed in other teachers' classrooms? Do this many parents not care how their children do in school?
But, the biggest question that I have been asking myself lately when looking at the attitudes of my students is "Why do I care more than them?" and "Is it worth my time?"
How sad it that?!?!?!?
So, sadly, although there are classes that I love (my 11th graders), I don't know how much longer I can continue to teach. I get stressed out about their work level. People blame English teachers for the results of the BSTs, and MCAs in Reading and Writing...but I don't even have enough time to TEACH because I am constantly critiquing what they should already know. GRRRRRRRR.
Enough about that.

Thanksgiving is coming sooooo soon. Chris and I will be heading up to Walker either Wed. or Thurs. and staying until Friday afternoon. Then, we have family Thanksgiving with his side on Saturday. It is fun to have a lot of things to go to, but a little stressful too. ON a sad note, we are not taking our annual shopping trip, because Grandma Vonnie can't really shop til you drop like the rest of us anymore. :( She is still way cool though.

Ok- Hope all is well with everyone!
Love,
Breanna

No comments: