Monday, February 11, 2008

Congrats Amanda!

Congratulations on the new job, Amanda! Sometimes some of the best things just fall from the sky, or through the telephone.

Tomorrow will be the fourth day of the new semester and I'm already behind on my reading. This is not something I'm particularily proud of, but it happens. I completely misjudged the amount of reading I have due tomorrow for my pastoral care class (160 pages instead of 80, yes that's twice as much). And the funny thing about it is that we haven't even met as a class yet, tomorrow will be our first day. I've noticed that's common practice however. I'm not sure if that's a grad school thing, or something unique to the institution I currently attend.

Friday I had an interesting experience with a friend from Nigeria. He asked me to bring him to Brooklyn Park (a NW suburb) because he had accidently purchased two different sizes of shoes. I agreed that I could drive him and asked if he knew where it was. This is how our conversation went:
Sarah: Do you know where it (the store) is?
Festus: You don't know where Brooklyn Park is?
S: Yes, I know where it is, but where is the store?
F: Oh, you just go to Brooklyn Park, and it's right by the traffic light.
S: Do you know which traffic light?
F: Yeah, it's the second one.

Fortunately I got on the right street with the right set of traffic lights, and we were able to find the African market that was tucked away, bearly noticeable to those no familiar with the location. However, once inside I became aware the small store was frequently visited. I imagine there were 25-30 Africans there knowing exactly what they wanted and I was the lone white girl poking my nose around at all the different items. The afternoon with Festus progressed with some more unique experiences that I believe can only be had with an international individual. It's invaluable to be able to have the continued experiences with people from different cultures than our Western society which is so dominating.

In response to Amanda's proposal for camping at the Fing Festival, I'm all for it!!! I'm really for anything because I just like hanging out with all you lovely ladies as long as children is not the only topic of discussion. :)

How's everyone else doing?

No comments: