Sunday, June 18, 2006

Blog ground rules

Now I know the title of this blog refers to an annual event, but I don't think that should limit us to postings in regards to the Festival. Therefore I make a motion that we be able to post whatever we want to create a dialogue amongst ourselves. I'm quite pleased that there have been several posts and hope many more are to follow. If you would like to make a motion about the ground rules, please let us know.

Since the motion as come before us (and seconded, by my dictorial account), let's talk about professional identity. What is it? Who defines it? Does it really matter?

What is it?
After name introductions, professional identity is usually the first thing discussed when first meeting someone. "Where do you work? What do you do?" It is the identity we give ourselves, or others give us, during the hours we slave away at our jobs. And is it a job or a career path we are on? Well I know that working at World Market is a job for me and not a career path. But does working at World Market define part of my professional identity right now?

Who defines it?
Those that have the power to do so. It is those that believe our job/career/profession should be an extention of what we believe. And it is those that seek a definition of something that can perhaps not easily be defined.

Does it really matter?
Intially my response would be, no. However, upon further consideration I would say that is does matter. I do believe our professional identity should be an extension of what we believe is important. Does our profession go so far that someone could be clued into our morals and values...I'm not sure. I would like to think that higher education promotes professional identity, and maybe it does for some, but for me I don't think it did. At least I might not have been listening during one of those sessions. Here's what I mean: I trained for four years to become a teacher and is that what I really want? I know that I like education and kids so it is natural to be a teacher, right? Well, perhaps. But what are the other options not discussed by the incompetent Karla Smart?

I look forward to your thoughts about this topic. Hopefully this blog does not becoming me simply rambling my late-night thoughts . But I believe I have a firm sounding-board from which to bounce ideas off of. (Yes, that's you.)

No comments: