Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mundane routine

There are days when I don't mind being part of a routine that isn't all that exciting. In fact, I often relish in the predictability of it all. I enjoy listening to the morning show on MPR with Jim Ed Poole and Dale Connelly. I also like having a cold lunch everyday with vegetables, a banana, and some sort of sandwich on nutty bread. But today was a today I wish hadn't been so predictable. I could predict that my ELL class wouldn't settle in and do their work and when given the opportunity to work in groups, would not use their time effectively. I also know that my 6th hour is often uncontrollable because of 8 students that are in there and many will fail because they're refusing to complete their work and won't respect assignment deadlines. When I went to World Market tonight I knew I would be putting away stock, having to deal with customer questions, and eating chocolate. All these I know, but I wish there was more. Of course I didn't know that today a girl in one of my classes would attack a boy, pinning up against the door with her hand around his neck saying her brother, who is in a gang, would beat up him up. I didn't know that a girl in 6th hour would yell so loudly and use such profanity that it could be heard all the way down the hall.


Right now, I look forward to the say when my routine isn't so predicable and the unpredictability comes when I decide that instead of cold lunch I will be taken out to lunch. (Which of course can never happen as a teacher.) Of course I know that unpredictability is part of the excitement and I will not always be in control. And perhaps I should enjoy my routine right now because there are a lot of changes about to take place in the next few months for me and my family...I'm helping Matt and Sarah move to MO, I'm starting seminary, my dad's getting married, and I will have a niece in Oct.


All right, enough ramblings...just like bad talk-show hosts I can go on and on without making any sense. Which could be another topic. Why are Dr. Phil, The View, and Montel Williams still on the air? Do people watch because they think they actually have something good to say, or only because they need comic relief?


See you Saturday!

Ps. Mandy, is this what your parent's lake lot looks like?

No comments: